New Ads

New ads

Friday, July 1, 2011

75 Days Of A Great Experience

We all are saying it today, "boy, I can't believe the year is half over already".

I also can't believe it has been 2 1/2 months since I produced my first column in this blog. It has been a great experience and even more so, I have learned a lot about what readers enjoy, do not enjoy and how passionate people are about college basketball.

As we start the second half of the year, I think it might be fun to share with you great readers some things I have learned and hopefully what you have learned as well.

1. Readers love my CRAWFACTS and when you have success with something keep it going. I plan to write the CRAWFACTS column at least once a week from here on out.

2. The most sensitive people in basketball are referees. If you even write one thing about them that they construe as negative, they let you know about it. You would think that people who are under constant criticism, would be a little more cautious about giving out unfound criticism, but in the long run, I appreciate all my critics and just thrilled people would take the time to read this blog.

3. Some people just read this blog to correct my grammar or look for a mistake. I would be the first to admit that often I miss something in proofreading and do have some typos, which is great when people pick that up, but as far as my grammar, I could care less about it. I write this for fun, to hopefully inform and to entertain, so for all you people who want to correct my grammar, write your own blog and good luck to you. A wordsmith I am not.

4. History still means something. Writing about "old time" players always brings a huge response and it is always something when researching that I learn as much as hopefully the readers do. I will continue to do more of bringing you the history of college basketball.

5. Readers like to hear about people who are huge part of college basketball, but are not in the headlines everyday. The responses I get from writing about Danny Miles, from OIT and Brad Jackson, from Western Washington are nothing short of heartwarming. Two people and there are many, many more who could have moved on to make huge money, but have chosen to stay at schools they love and have helped shaped the lives of many students.

6. Some Sports Information Directors at schools are just awesome and others are as arrogant as it gets. I would like to train the arrogant one on just a few things, such as returning calls or emails, saying thank you and quit acting like your the most important person in an athletic department, you are NOT. For the great ones, hats off, long hours, horrible pay and you just keep churning out quality work. It is not forgotten on my part.

7. Oregon Duck fans, well..............I might not call them passionate, instead,  what I do know is that if you say even one thing critical of the Ducks, they come out of the woodwork, many times totally ignoring the facts and never thinking their school can do anything wrong no matter what the subject.

8. I really appreciate the people in the media who read this blog daily and often write emails to myself. Many of them are big time broadcasters and many are big time writers, so they could easily pooh-pooh a person like myself. They choose not to and it shows why they are successful. Being an important person does not make you resistant to be being nice. After all, as my great father always said, "there is no price for being nice".

So, I have learned a lot in 75 days and I am sure that the learning curve will never stop. As long as my fingers work, I will continue to do this and my main goals are that it never gets stale, it always informs and even more important it always entertains. I love reading the emails from all of you and thank you.

Lastly I would be totally remiss, not to thank my friend TIM MARSH. Tim set this blog up for myself and it would not be here today, without his great help. He never complained with my stupid questions, instead he just rolled up his sleeves as he does for many people and got the job done. Tim, thank you.

emails to crawscorner@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment