New Ads

New ads

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Portland Soccer, March 28, 2013

As we wait for the Timbers to play their second road game of the season, at Colorado on Saturday afternoon, I also am thinking ahead to next week. The Timbers return home with a game against Houston on Saturday, April 6, and two night earlier there will be a unique, memorable event.

"Beating Seattle Never Gets Old" will feature past Timbers players and footage of old Timbers matches, live at the Hollywood Theater. Timbers greats such as Bernie Fagan, Roger Goldingay, Mick Hoban, Bill Irwin, Jimmy Kelly, and Willie Anderson are scheduled to appear in person to talk about the matches being shown on screen. The price to see all these men together is just $12 in advance and tickets are available here. As a fellow Timbers fan pointed out to me, this is a very rare, probably once-in-a-lifetime chance to learn so much Timbers history directly from those who made it. I hope this event sells out because these players laid the foundation for Portland soccer and if you support the Timbers you really need to see and hear from them if you possibly can.

Even better, the proceeds from this event will go to help make sure soccer in Portland continues. Bless Field  will be in the New Columbia housing community in North Portland and is going to be a place where boys and girls from around the world can play soccer year round. When I was younger I played baseball and basketball, but I support any sport kids can play. I had fun and learned things by playing sports and I want to make sure children have the same chances I did. That's why I enjoy volunteering with Pitch Invasion (the group building Bless Field), and why I immediately decided to go to this event. You get to see Timbers legends, Pitch Invasion gets closer to building a new field. Everyone gets something positive out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment