By Gregory Crawford @wchoops
For our large group of national and international readers, please forgive me on this one since I live in Oregon, but an avid reader of Craw’s Corner asked me to do this and I am obliging.
The greatest Portland Trail Blazers of all time. If you disagree, don’t take the easy road, give me your own list. Keep in mind, I always do things in 9s out of respect for great nine hole golf courses in the world.
9. Maurice Lucas— A true champion, perhaps most popular Blazer of all time, plus the 3rd most important reason the Trail Blazers won their only NBA championship in 1977.
8. Terry Porter— Smooth as silk. If you needed a big shot, TP was your guy and to this day one of best 3-point shooters in NBA history.
7. Rick Adelman— Led the team as coach to two NBA Finals, a tremendous person and in sad way, holds the title as the greatest coach in NBA never to win a championship.
6. 12, 666, aka Jon Spoelstra- 10 years as a Blazer executive, a true genius. Took the broadcasting rights in house, a huge financial boon and besides keeping greatest sellout streak in sports alive, the only NBA executive in history to ever be traded for a player, Spoelstra to Indiana for Don Buse.
5. Clyde Drexler—- Is he the greatest Blazer of all time, I don’t think so, but many do.
4. The Radio Broadcasters— Radio is much more important in the NBA for west coast teams, than rest of league cause often road games start at 4:00 pm. Fans have been blessed with the original icon “The Schonz” and now the best radio play by play broadcaster in league, Brian Wheeler.
3. Geoff Petrie—- The early years he was the fan developer. He made the crowds go from 2,000 to 11,000 in a short period. He was an awesome shooter, frightening what his stats would have been with a 3-point line.
2. The Owners— Up to 2018, only 2 owners, Larry Weinberg and Paul Allen. No sports team in history has had better owners. Constant pressure to move the team and the franchise is still here. Never overlook as well due largely in part to these 2 men, the ability year in and out to get to playoffs.
1. Jack Ramsay— The greatest Blazer of all time. Only coach in 49 year history of team to win an NBA championship, nothing more needs to be said.
Plenty of room in comment section for your thoughts.